Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Favorite Unknowns

If you read enough books, eventually you'll come across reads that have never, ever graced the New York Times bestseller list. In fact, as you struggle to find a copy, you realize that this book you read may not have ever graced any recognizable list anywhere. This doesn't mean that the book has no value. Rather, dear reader, it means that you have found a diamond in the rough. A story that has spoken to you where it has not spoken to many people before. In short, you've found a choosy book - and it's up to you whether to share it or not. I have found very few books that have not been recognized by someone in my acquaintance, but the following reads have stumped even some of my librarian friends.

Instructions by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Charles Vess
 Rarely do I read a book and then rush home and buy it the first chance I get. However, as soon as I had finished this wonderfully charming picture book, I sprinted home and did exactly that. This poem by Gaiman was first published in A Wolf at the Door but has since been reborn in this short book. The illustrations are also gorgeous - Vess has made them as charming and whimsical as the prose. "Touch the wooden gate in the wall you never saw before" begins the poem. The reader and the quester (or are they the same thing?) are guided through a familiar landscape filled with the scraps of famous fairy-tales, folklore and old stories. I loved the 'advice' that is offered to the reader, on everything from being polite to overcoming obstacles to never, ever losing hope.


The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristin D. Randle
I always have the greatest difficulty describing books that I wholeheartedly adore. This book was the 'Twilight' of my early teenagerdom - I still have my worn copy that I re-read every one and a while. In this book, the main character and narrator (Ginny) has had to face some tough changes. Her beloved older brother has left for college and she and her entire family have moved across the country. As Ginny adjusts to a new school, she finds herself becoming fascinated with a strange boy named Smitty Tibbs. Smitty is beautiful and intelligent but has never interacted with another living soul. In fact, his classmates call him the Alien because he acts so strangely. As Ginny gets drawn into Smitty's life, she has to decide whether she can live with the secrets in Smitty's past. I have always loved Ginny because I identified with her so strongly. Here was a girl who wasn't stunningly beautiful, who didn't have magical help or stumble onto the perfect answer. Instead, Ginny felt more like someone you could actually encounter. She felt normal and very real. The title, by the way, refers to something Ginny says in the first chapter in the book. She says that we all have to remember we're never 'the only alien on the planet'. Even though we may feel like it, we're never alone in our struggles and issues.

The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery
I have always been a romantic soul. Of course, between present day and my early teens my tastes have matured (er...immensely) but I often find myself coming back to this old favorite whenever I require a very gentle romance. Valancy lives a miserable existence as the odd one out in her very unpleasant family. At 29, she's never fallen in love, rebelled or even had many moments of undiluted happiness. All of her enjoyment comes from reading her favorite books and daydreaming about life in a mystical Blue Castle. One day, Valancy is informed via a letter from her doctor that she hasn't long to live. She has a heart condition that will make her heart give out within a year at most. After Valancy reads the letter, she vows that she will live life to the fullest. She begins at once, much to the horror of her snobbish family, and ends up doing all kinds of 'shocking' things like becoming friends with the town scapegraces and cutting her hair (oh horrors). She revels in all the adventure, love and wonder that life has to offer. By the end of the book, Valancy has finally discovered all the joy that she only had in her imaginary Blue Castle. This book is full of gratification, from a very sweet romance, to devilish relish when Valancy finally stands up to her awful family and comes into her own. L.M. Montgomery, by the way, is also the author of the Anne of Green Gables series.

No comments:

Post a Comment